Sunday, September 7, 2008

Supernatural somethin or another..

Incredible doesn't even begin to describe what was witnessed this evening.  I have to argue when Carlos Santana named one of his album titles "Supernatural", he was most certainly being a modest man.  This was my second time seeing Santana, both times have been with my Dad. Santana has to be up in his list of top all-time artists along with Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Eric Clapton (who's show we also went to see together), Buddy Guy, Led Zeppelin, and Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Tonight's performance was unreal.  I find it so amazing a man now in his 60's is able to put on just as high energy of a show as he did 30 years ago.  I've seen some footage.. It's true, he hasn't slowed down one bit.

What's truly inspiring is how he stands for so much more than the magical music he creates with that guitar of his. He is a visionary artist and a huge advocate for world peace. He shows great pride and appreciation of the power every person has within them and makes a solid effort to communicate this to his fans.  He wants to empower everyone at his shows to recognize this in themselves and to use it, creating unity in the world we share.  He paused the show a couple times last night to speak of some things he believes our world could use more of.. what we as people of this earth should remember to stand for each day.. Serenity, sincerity, peace, and compassion in everything we put our minds to and how we treat one another.

Looking around the stands, I couldn't help but notice such a vast array of people in attendance. The entire Spanish community of British Columbia must have been there, but there were a few other characters I was a bit surprised to see.  The guy sitting next to me looked like he just walked out of an H.A. Clubhouse, tattooed from neck to fingers.. There were also a lot of grey hairs there, understandable being that his music became famous worldwide in the early 60's, even performing at Woodstock with Hendrix.  Some days I really wish I were 10 or 20 years older so I could have seen some of history's most talented artists play live.  Luckily, my Dad got to see almost all of the greats, so I get to hear all about his experiences from their shows..  Sometimes we'll sit in his basement and play old records, drink beer, and if I'm lucky a song will come on that reminds him of one time when he saw that particular band.   So cool, I live for those stories of his..

Anyways, as usual I digress... Did I mention the show was incredible?!  It really was! Perhaps even better than the first time I saw him about 4 or 5 years ago. Oh right, I can't forget about those definitely deserving honorable mentions.. I've gotta give a shout out to front row "crazy arms" Asian lady.. You are the best dancer I've ever seen, well almost as good as Seinfeld's  Elaine Benes... But let me tell you, you made paying those Ticketmaster service charges well worth it. Also I don't know which was more amazing, Carlos Santana or the super adorable 50-something year old lady in the black mini cocktail dress in the 2nd row rocking out hardcore on the "air keyboard".. Highlight of my year, I swear! I've seen some serious air guitar, air drums, etc.. But air keyboard, that was a must see.  I tried to take a picture of her for proof of this once in a lifetime phenomenon, but unfortunately it didn't turn out.  Annddd, I guess I should probably mention the ABSOLUTELY FREAKING OUT OF THIS WORLD almost 10 minute long drum solo.  Now this drummer had to be close to 300 lbs, but he blew Tommy Lee up.  Sorry Tommy, you are gorgeous and I love you and you are also an incredible drummer, but this guy gets my vote. Holy crap he was amazing. 

Overall, the show was outstanding! As was to be expected.. Carlos Santana is really such an extraordinary artist.. It's no wonder he can collaborate with pretty much anyone he wants. And his 12 piece band most definitely deserved to be up on that stage with him... I could have done without the opening act "The Salvador Santana Band". The Salvador guy couldn't sing and was pretty annoying acting all "thug like" but his keyboard playing was alright.  The best part of the entire night though was experiencing how Carlos Santana's music brings so many people from different walks of life together.. Including my Dad and I.. Music is one thing we have always strongly bonded over and share most in common.. And it was really nice to be able to spend the night in the company of my father, all while getting to watch together one of world music's great legends doin what he does best.. makin that guitar cry  ;)

No comments: